Thursday, April 16, 2015

Dentist Time!!!

Ok, I don´t know how bad of a mother I am being that my oldest is 6 years old and neither one of them have been to the dentist before. Matthew has always been great about brushing teeth. I might have started a little earlier with him being the first since you have to do everything "by the book" with the first and it´s a little more relaxed for the second. Julian was NOT good about brushing teeth. For the last 9 months he´s been good about it but before that, it was a fight.....every. single. time. Literally, Dani and I had to lay him down on the sofa and hold him down. One would hold down arms and legs and the other would brush. Or on most nights that I was alone at that time, I had to straddle him and do it myself. So of course there were some times that I didn´t do it all that well or just didn´t do it. So, when we noticed a spot on Julian´s tooth that may be a cavity, I wasn´t all that surprised. So, we made an appointment for a check up but not an actual cleaning the first time to see who had cavities. Turns out Matthew had one and Julian had FOUR!!! I was shocked that A) Matthew even had one because I had done SUCH a good job with that and B) that Julian had FOUR! Wow! I never would have imagined. So, we made another appointment for the fillings.......

The appointment for the fillings was with a mother of one of Julian´s classmates who was also in our little tikes English class last year that I did so Julian and Matthew both knew the dentist well thank goodness. The first appointment was Julian since he had four and that seemed more urgent to me so I explained to him how it wasn´t going to really hurt but it was going to sound really bad and he might think it was hurting but it really wasn´t hahahaha. We debated to do it in the public healthcare because that way it would be free but novacaine is not regularly used here anywhere, but not at all in the public healthcare so we opted for the private dentist just in case novacaine was needed. Julian did AMAZING!!!! I couldn´t believe he didn´t cry or get too scared or anything. He´s always been the more delicate one so I thought it was going to be tough but nope, he did great!!!! He just laid there as stiff as a board, held on to the stuffed tiger I brought and the dentist did everything needed on the 2 most urgent cavities and not even with novacaine, wow!!!!

A couple of weeks later was Matthew´s turn. During those couple of weeks between appointments I noticed that the spot in Matthew´s mouth was growing fast and getting darker. So when we got in there, the dentist told me that it was REALLY close to the nerve and that she would use novacaine but had to fill it with something different (I don´t remember what) and wait two weeks to see if there was any inflammation or pain. If it got infected, he would need to start antibiotics right away and have the tooth removed, ugh!!! Thank goodness it all went well and Matthew was a REAL trooper because she must have shot him up 2 or 3 times to make sure it was numb and that novacaine injection is a slow one! She had the needle in his gum for a while, while injecting it and Matthew was very uncomfortable. He squirmed and squealed a little but no crying. I felt so bad for him. I thought we had done so great taking care of his teeth! Oh well. I was shocked at how great they both did. They just did so well! I have the toughest boys ever!

AMAZING JOB JULIAN!

 

 
 
THOSE SHOTS LOOKED PRETTY PAINFUL TO ME, MATTHEW!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment