Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Last Two Weeks

What in the world have I been doing for the last two weeks???? I haven't done much but it seems I've been really busy.  In the last two weeks, I've only gone out in the car twice, once to the grocery store and once to the hospital for Julian to get his heel pricked. By the way, Julian was asleep when they took blood from his heel and didn't even notice :) I've walked one block to the corner store a few times but other than that and my two trips in the car, I haven't even left the house to go any farther than the backyard. This may sound like a miserable time to some but it has actually been really great and relaxing, just getting to know my new little bundle of joy.

Family members have basically come and gotten Matthew (or Dani has taken him out as well) every single day and many times he's gone from 10am until 6 or 7pm. They take him and play at different people's houses, birthday parties, jumping on trampolines or inflatable castles, to the park, to a farm to ride horses, to do errands, on a boat tour (he's going tomorrow) and even to mass one evening. Matthew is out and about all over this town and he's having a really great time. He's getting much closer to the family and even taking his afternoon naps at other houses. It's been really great for him, I think. It's been great for me too even though I miss him sometimes and wonder what time they're bringing him back every day. With him out having fun, I've been able to keep up with my sleep, nurse Julian whenever he needs it, get some things done in the house, stay showered and decently groomed and help Julian through his bouts (sometimes 3-4 hours) of reflux pain and gases. On average I get 3-5 hours of sleep per night and this way I've been able to get 1-3 hours of sleep in the late morning or afternoon so I don't feel so deprived of sleep.

Poor Julian really suffers from reflux and gas pains a lot. He just wrinkles up his face, turns red and screams out in pain while contorting his body into all kinds of positions. I feel so bad for him. There's no ONE position that helps him. Sometimes it's on his stomach, sometimes upright on my shoulder, sometimes in a sitting position. You just never know which one helps him when. Luckily we have some gas drops and also some drops for the reflux. Sometimes those seem like miracle drugs and sometimes they don't even seem to help at all. I hear that this can last until he's 6 or 7 months old unfortunately. Matthew hardly ever even spit up so I'm definitely not used to this at all. I think if I just stay on top of the meds and don't allow lapses of time where he's not under the influence of them, it'll help. I just hope I don't have to give these things to him 3 times a day for months on end. I don't like the idea of using meds for that long but I really can't stand to see him in such pain. Hopefully after his body grows and develops a little more, I won't have to use them as often.

So that's pretty much what's been going on with me in the last two weeks. My mom and her husband are coming in 4 days and we're getting really excited about having them here. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment