Friday, May 10, 2013

Day Two of No Nursing

About two weeks ago around the 16 month mark, I decided to see how Julian would react to cutting out one or two nursing sessions a day. We have been down to four for a while now since he really started sleeping through the night, about two months ago, if that. He didn't seem so desperate like Matthew did back in the day for that wake up session so I went with that first. Then, there was a 6pm one before dinner and I realized that I had forgotten that one once or twice because Julian was preoccupied and didn't remind me. I tried to keep him busy during that time to see how it went. Then, we were down to two. The ones before he went to sleep. I thought those would be the hardest but the afternoon nap wasn't as hard as I thought because three times a week my housekeeper and sometimes nanny would put him down for that nap when she was here. Julian got kind of used to not doing it before that nap. THEN, the last one before he went to sleep at night, I thought would be impossible, but.....seems like he's ok with going down without it as long as I don't really offer it and offer him some warm milk instead. The last five days or so have been only once a day at bedtime and now for the last two, no nursing at all. I never thought it would have been this easy or fast and that's why I was just going to "try" it so see how it was going to go. It may not be completely over because who knows what will happen tomorrow but it's coming to an end and it's bittersweet. My last baby and the end of a very special bond between mother and baby. I'm glad I was able to nurse both my babies for more than a year even if it sometimes challenged what I was going to wear (hard to do it in a dress if you have to pull it up), caused us to change "going out to eat" times, made me wear special one size bigger nursing bras, caused hormones to be outta wack for so long, etc. It was still an honor and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment