So, I've decided to try blogging. Not necessarily so tons of people can sit around and read what's going on with me and my two children (two, once the second one is born in December:) and husband but to document what's going on, when, where and with whom. Mainly for my two boys in the future but also for me to be able to read back on in the future when I feel like reminiscing. Since we live in Costa Rica, it will also be nice for my friends and family in the US to be able to read it and somewhat keep up with things too!
To start off, the title of this entire blog is "My Gringo Ticos" and for those of you that don't know, Gringo is what most Latin American countries use to refer to Americans or English speakers instead of just calling us Americans or North Americans. It actually comes from wartimes between the US and Mexico when they would say "Green Go" since our soldiers were wearing green uniforms and they wanted us to GO. The term ended up being Gringo. This is the story that I've heard but if someone knows a different one, I'd like to hear it! Tico is the name that Latin Americans call Costa Ricans and it originates from many years ago when Costa Ricans used to put an ending on a word which was "tico" instead of the typical "ito" on the end of it to mean "little". For examble, un momentito would be un momentico which means give me just a little moment or second. Instead of saying a baby is chiquitito (very small), it would be chiquitico. You still hear this around town and I've even said it a bit myself. So to make a long story short (or longer), "My Gringo Ticos" would be "My American Costa Ricans" referring to my two boys who are both American and Costa Rican. Since this blog will be mostly about them, I thought it was appropriate.
Just a little update for those of you that already know, I'm 6 months pregnant with my second son and he's been moving all around lately. I'm starting to feel some of those jabbing feelings when an elbow or knee or something is trying to poke out or getting up close to my ribs. So far, I'm all belly (and not really all THAT big in that area) like last time and also like last time I'm feeling plenty of heartburn. Thank goodness for Zantac, that's all I can say. Besides that negative side effect, I feel pretty great except I'm definitely more tired than last time. I think it might have something to do with chasing around a toddler and plus, I'm not getting any younger, ha, ha, ha!
It just dawned on me the other day that this baby will be here in about 3 months....wow. Time is FLYING by. My first son Matthew will be 3 years old next month? How is that possible? Didn't I just bring him home from the hospital like YESTERDAY? Amazing. I was sorting through his clothes the other day to give some away since someone gave me a bunch more boy clothes and I remember it all like it was yestesrday. I remember him wearing this newborn stuff and who gave it to us. It just wasn't all that long ago, yet it was 3 years ago. I also can't believe that this will be my last time doing this pregnancy thing. Not that I'm dying for a bunch of kids (really two is enough and it's all I've ever wanted) but the whole experience is just so amazing. I really love it. Even the tough parts, labor and delivery, middle of the night feedings and all kinds of other "strange and uncomfortable" things that come with having a baby that I won't go into for the sake of the men in my family that may be reading this. So it's kinda sad (not boo-hoo, crying sad, but sad) that this chapter in my life is ending but I guess that's just part of life. I haven't had that many "chapters" in my life close where I said ok, I will definitely never be doing that again. Especially something that I loved. It's a weird feeling.
Surprisingly, I still have stuff to say (this is something that I worried about that I wouldn't have much to say) but it's 3:15pm and my son will be up from his nap at 4:30pm and I should go rest up while I can. I'm really trying to rest when he naps to be able to keep up with him during his second part of the day. All too soon, he'll give up these afternoon naps and when this baby comes in December, Lord only knows when I'll get to rest again.
No comments:
Post a Comment