Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Forgot to Mention

Um, I think I forgot (on here, but I posted it on FB) to mention that our little man Julian gained almost 4.5 pounds at his one month checkup. This baby is getting so big!!!! At Matthew´s first one month check up, he had just gained about a pound and a half and I thought that was a lot back then. I thought Matthew being born at almost 8.5 pounds was big too and THEN......came Julian at a little over 9.5 pounds. I don´t understand why I have such big babies. The Costa Ricans here say, "wow, you must have REALLY big people in your family" but I really don't think we do. I mean, we're just average for the American race. I don't think we're all THAT big. Oh well, good thing we're not having anymore children because the next one would be upwards of 10 or so pounds at birth at the rate we're going! I wonder what you do with a baby who is purely breastfed who gains too much weight? You can't exactly put him on a diet or restrict his intake. Supposedly God and my body know what they're doing and he will be ok and slim down later. He is just a tad over the line on the charts for being overweight but the pediatrician doesn't seem too concerned so I guess I'm not either.

Speaking of Julian, he's starting to smile a lot more and especially when you talk to him a lot. He's only 6 1/2 weeks but I feel like all these smiles are not just gassy smiles, lol. He's such a sweet little (ok, really big) baby and I totally adore him. Matthew is just so sweet with him too. He's always trying to hold Julian's hand or pat his tummy or kiss his head. Whenever Julian is laying in the middle of my bed or on the sofa or something, Matthew always wants to lay next to him and hold his hand. Julian has really started trying to look over at Matthew whenever he hears him nearby. Julian is VERY interested in his big brother and Matthew feels the same about him. It's really cute. I could not be more pleased at the way Matthew has grown and developed in the last 6 weeks and how well he has done with his new little bro. My family here keeping him busy and entertained has DEFINITELY made the transition easier especially with his favorite Aunt Carolina (Tia Ina) in town. At first I thought it was huge mistake having a new baby while Matthew was on his Summer vacation (not that I could be exact in planning the pregnancy) but it turned out that it was the perfect time. Tia Ina was here from San Jose almost the whole time (since she's a school teacher and was on vacation too) which was a huge blessing and the fact that Matthew wasn't in school was probably for the best during Julian's first 6 weeks of life to not be bringing home every little illness that was going on in his class. I just recently read that up to the first 4-6 weeks of life are the most susceptible times for newborns to get sick since not until about that time does their immune system really start maturing and being able to defend the body. Things are going great for us and especially between the two brothers. I can't wait till they can really play together. It's going to be so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment