Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I hide, I hide!

A few days ago it was thundering really loud and it was almost time for Matthew to get up from his nap.  Right as I was about to go in his room, there was a HUGE clap of thunder and the power went out. As I walked into his room, I saw him face down in the corner of his bed holding his stuffed Bunny and Ducky but he was moving around a little. When he heard me come in, he looked up with a kinda shocked, blank look on his face. I said, "wow, sweetie that was LOUD thunder, wasn't it?" and he said, "Si Mama, I hide, I hide!" and then he proceeded to show me how he was hiding in the corner of his bed with his two stuffed animals. It was just so adorable. I just loved on him for a little bit so he would feel safer. I'm surprised he didn't call for me and he stayed quiet and was "hiding". My little sweet man.......

Btw, we have the Spanglish thing going on so he usually says a mix of Spanish and English. He might say "sit down....aquí Mama" or "Agua please". Sometimes the phrase is completely in Spanish and sometimes it´s in English. He seems to still count more and say the colors in English but now that he´s in pre-K, there´s a lot more Spanish coming out. The family here is adjusting accordingly and his grandmother here knows that after his nap when he says "Más juice" that he wants more juice (jugo), ha, ha ha! Even his 76 year old grandfather is counting to five in English now:) It's so amazing how he learns both languages and doesn't even know he's doing it. Sometimes he says moon and sometimes he says luna.  One time his grandfather (Tito) was pointing out the window telling him to look at the "luna" and Matthew kept yelling in his face "MOON, MOON, MOON" and of course Tito didn't have a clue what he was yelling. Finally I walked in and saw what had been going on for the last few minutes and explained to Tito that moon, was "luna" in English. Ahhhhhh, I'm sure we're going to have so many interesting situations like that with the two languages.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Welcome to blogging! It's a good way to stay in touch and a lot of fun to read back over later on!

    ReplyDelete