It sure took a while since Matthew was 2 years and 4 months old when he potty trained (which he pretty much did in a day or two) to finally be pooping consistently in the potty! The peeing thing was no problem and he even pooped a few times when he first trained but then something happened and he was scared of something and has been pooping in a diaper (could be worse, in his underwear) until about a week ago (just turned 3!). Luckily, he would tell me he had to poop, I'd put on a diaper, he'd do it and I'd change him back into his underwear. We have done that once a day for 7-8 months now and I finally decided to put a little pressure on him (they say not to force these things, so I wasn't!) and also offer him candy (which I had offered before) and it worked! Somehow, the norm ended up being 3 pieces of candy (like the individual wrapped hard candies). It was Dani's idea to put some pressure on him and I'm glad I did it but we started doing the math and realized if we gave him three pieces every day, that would be 90 per month, ugh!!! TOO MUCH! We stay away from sugar as much as possible so I really didn't like this idea. Today, he actually pooped two times and I didn't mention the candy and he didn't either, yay!!! Hopefully that candy idea will only last the week that it has and we're pretty much done with it. It's how I got him to pee in the potty in the first place and it was only a few times that I actually had to give him a lollypop.
He still wears a diaper to bed partly because I don't feel like dealing with the accidents but many times he wakes up dry. I suppose we're going to have to nip this in the bud soon too. Guess it's better before the baby's born than have to deal with it after. Although, regression is VERY common with a new sibling but I'm really hoping he doesn't go back to diapers for while. I have a friend and her daughter went back to diapers for 4 months when her little brother was born, ugh! I'm sure it's going to be a rollercoaster ride when this second one comes because I KNOW there will be some jealousy but hopefully not too much acting out for attention. He's DEFINITELY a mama's boy though, so I'm expecting the worst but hoping for "not so bad"...........
I'm proud of my little man though, a big boy bed AND pooping in the potty AND staying overnight without mommy and daddy for the first time.....all in a matter of a couple of weeks. Major milestones so close together, I can't ask for much better :)
No comments:
Post a Comment