Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving in Costa Rica

For the second time in my 10 years here, we have celebrated Thanksgiving with my Costa Rican family and they truly enjoy it (one was 3 years ago and now this one). I have to continue to make this tradition happen because we all really enjoy it. Little by little, I'll have to share the recipes with them so they can help make a few dishes because they really want to help. I have only done the dinner with other American friends but I won't always have them to participate, but I still want to continue the tradition. My family here is super good at going around and saying what they are thankful for. They are all mini speeches and usually somewhat touching and emotional. I started and basically said that I was thankful for my family here and in the US, thankful for the baby that I have and the one that I will have shortly, thankful that we all have jobs and good health and are able to live a nice, enjoyable life. That was about it. Of course I'm thankful for so many other things but really, I am just not that much of a talker, whereas the Costa Ricans (especially my family) are. We decided to all serve our food and then one by one say what we are thankful for because it could take a good 30 mins and the food was getting cold. So it was better that everyone could be eating while listening to others give their "speech". I hope I can continue this Thanksgiving tradition for my family here and especially for my sons, so they'll be able to celebrate and learn about both their cultures that they come from.

Dani giving his "speech" and saying the blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment