Friday, November 11, 2011

Sushi for Pregos/Taxi License

I made sushi with steamed lobster tail and cucumber the other day and it was GOOOOOOOD! No, it wasn't a "craving" I was having or anything like that, I just like sushi and we had frozen lobster tails in the freezer and so I used it. Since being pregnant, I can't eat raw fish, I steamed up the tails and put 'em in there.  We don't always have the seaweed wrap, sushi rice and wasabi around here in Nicoya to make it but I was in Liberia the other week and stopped in the supermarket to look for some chocolate chips (another thing we don't always have around here) and I stumbled upon the international foods section.

The reason I was in Liberia was because it seems that I'm going to get my taxi driver's license here in Costa Rica. Yes, that's right, I'm going to be a licensed taxi driver but it will not be to actually drive the taxis. We already own a taxi and have another guy as our driver but none of us actually have a license so we can't drive it. I know this all sounds weird but a few years ago my husband and I went in with my mother-in-law and invested our money in a licensed taxi. It seems that the taxi business makes more money than if we were to put our money in a bank somewhere and earn the interest. Plus, every week or every day, there's constantly extra cash coming in that has been a great perk of the business. Anyway, as owners we get 70% and the driver gets 30% and we share the gas expense with him. Our SUV is getting a bit old and after running 6-7 days a week, sometimes 14 hour days, it's having to be fixed A LOT (and that's OUR expense as owners). So, we've decided to buy a new one. The problem is, the taxi we have now is still in the name of the original owner who, I think is dead or something (I'm not kidding, I think he's dead). There was some weird legal issue where we ended up leaving it in this other guy's name and Marjorie, my sister-in-law has documents written up and signed protecting us against any type of legal problems. The issue now is that we want to buy a new one and the person's name it's going to be in has to have a taxi driver's license. Well, we can't put it in my husband's name because he's a doctor and in case he were to get sued, they could go after that as part of the payment. My mother-in-law doesn't even have a regular driver's license, much less a taxi specific one. So......that leaves me! Up until recently, I didn't even have a Costa Rican license since the US one is accepted here but I really did need to have it after living here 10 years so I got it. It looks like I'm studying for the exam now for the taxi license to take next Friday. Trying to get all this done before I have the baby and I'm 34 weeks along today. Whoo-hoo!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment